- For the past 20 years, Nick has specialised in TMT, intellectual property, cyber risk, professional negligence, fine art and insurance.
Recent work includes:
- Acting on behalf of a shipping company in the Court of Appeal in respect of the status of electronic documents in a principal and agency relationship.
- Acting on behalf of a multinational in respect of its dispute with a former director who set up a website in order to pass himself off as his former employer.
- Acting on behalf of a well known art dealer in respect of the sale of an allegedly fake painting for $17 million.
- Acting on behalf of an international web based luxury goods designer/retailer in respect of its claim against a "copycat" website company.
- Advising insurers on the policy coverage issues arising from a breach of copyright/breach of confidence claim over fund administration software.
- Policy coverage advice in respect of a trade mark dispute between UK and us publishing houses.
- A £250 million dispute arising from the implementation of an ERP system for a multinational.
- Acting on behalf of a video games developer in respect of two us arbitrations with US publishers.
- Advice on policy coverage issues arising from the allegedly negligent design of concrete for a football stadium.
- Advice on the policy coverage issues arising from the alleged negligence of structural engineers retained to advice on a multimillion pound development in at Kings Cross.
Significant reported cases
- Fairstar Heavy Transport NV v Adkins & Anor (2013) EWCA Civ 886
- Total E&P Soudan SA v Edmonds & Ors (2007) HL
- Hurstwood Developments Ltd v Motor & General & Andersley Insurance Services (2001) EWCA Civ 1785
- Nyckeln Finance Company Ltd v Edward Symmons & Partners (a firm) 1996 EWCA Civ 681
- Lloyds TSB Bank plc v Edward Symmons & Partners (2003) EWHC 346 TCC
- Thames Water Limited v McNicholas Construction Company 1998 TCC
Insurers and re-insurers, loss adjusters and brokers, Major insureds: Ace, Willis, Hiscox, Charles Taylor Adjusters, Aspinal of London Limited, Timothy Taylor Gallery, Firefly Studios Ltd.