I have 24 years’ litigation experience, 16 years of which was with Birmingham City Council where I was head of civil litigation. I advise on a wide range of complex and high value claims including historic and institutional abuse, Social Services negligence, failure to remove and HRA claims, contract and commercial litigation, professional indemnity and personal injury. I am a member of the BLM Abuse and Neglect Team.
Notable cases & responsibilities I have undertaken include:
- Defence of a £16m dispute in the Technology Construction Court for breach of warranties under contract, which was resolved via mediation for a relatively modest settlement.
- Acting for a local authority in defence of a £2.4m claim brought by department of Communities and Local Government for recoupment of a European Regional Development Fund grant for breach of grant conditions and failure to achieve performance milestones.
- Defence of £1.75m tripartite Local Government Pension Scheme contractor dispute to include evaluating the claim, defence and reply, and settling defence and counterclaim to Part 20 (third party) proceedings.
- Multi-million pound publically procured contract disputes in respect of claims for overpayment, misapplication of pricing mechanisms under the contract, miss-measurement, works not undertaken or not necessary.
- Variously engaged with chief officers and Councillors and taken evidence from service directors in defence of claims.
- Historic Abuse/Institutions and regional assessment centres/approved schools, group litigation to incude defence of historic claims brought against various former Alderman of a large local authority.
- Failure to remove, Social Services negligence and HRA claims.
- Arbitration proceedings.
- Strategic Investigations.
- Fraud recoveries work.
- Party Wall Act disputes.
- Injunctive proceedings.
- Property Litigation and rent actions.
- S.33 Limitation - Historic Abuse - TCD -v- Birmingham City Council,  EWHC 3048 (QB)
- Occupational Stress - Helen Lennon -v- Birmingham City Council CA  EWCA Civ 435,  IRLR 826
- Professional Negligence Downs ANOR -v- Chappell CA  1 WLR 426;  3 All ER 344;  CLY 5689
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Birmingham Law Society Personal Injury Committee